Monday, September 14, 2009

Bad Design - Portable Vacuum Cleaner


For this task, I had already known of what product I was going to talk about which was this portable vacuum cleaner. I had stumbled across it while I was at church one day as I was told to vacuum the floor. But once I had put it on, I immediately came across the problem of not knowing where the switch for it was. So for about a few minutes, I was searching for the switch cluelessly and it wasn't until my friend told me where it was that I finally found it - which was right at the lower part of the vacuum cleaner where I saw a tiny switch.

Therefore after that little scenario, I was extremely agitated that it took me that long just to find the switch so for this task I have chosen this badly designed portable vacuum cleaner. So if I was to redesign this product, I would firstly change the colour of the switch to the colour red as it stands out a lot and allows the user to notice it instantly. I then would definitely change the location of the switch and put it on the upper part of the vacuum cleaner where it is instantly noticeable for the user. Lastly, I would change the shape and size of the strap so that the user can turn it off and on more easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment